Saturday, November 1, 2008

Anniversary


This is difficult to put into words. One year and two days ago, our agency called at 11 am to say that we had been matched with Tian Yo if we still wished to adopt him. I collapsed to the floor in tears, staying there long after the call was ended, the receiver on the floor. I was undone.

The night before had been sleepless. By the time gray light streaked the wet sky, I was convinced we would have to say no if we were matched with this little one. In the two weeks since seeing his profile, our lives had changed. I filled four notebooks with everything I could find about Tian Yo's challenges, from exstophy to colostomy to single kidney to spina bifida. My silly penchant for endless research was finally validated. And there was no way we could do it, we concluded. Medical supplies, surgeries, more money than teachers can hope for. What were we thinking to even request this little boy? I prayed he would never know how we failed him, that he'd never know he was rejected because his body's betrayal had scared people. I tried to imagine when and how he might find parents, or if he would go unrequested so long he would finally be ineligible for adoption. What would he do? Where would he go?

And then the craziest thing happened. The phone rang at 9 am. It was Dr. John Gearhart, the pediatric urologist who operated on Tian Yo just months before we learned of him. T, Tian Yo's tireless advocate, had sent Dr. G. YoYo's story when the constant reflux of fluid into his kidney endangered his life. The Dr. replied that he would waive his fees to correct Tian Yo's condition if the foster home could raise the money for hospital stay and travel. They did it, and Dr. G. saved Tian Yo's life. Now this surgeon, perhaps the best in the world in his field, was calling me about this little boy. He said, "There is a reason Tian Yo was born with this, and there's a reason he came here, and you and your husband are part of that story." No naming of God, but indeed words of Shalom.

And then came the call. Yes we will bring him home, yes we will love him forever, yes we will...

I drove to school weeping to tell Shane, playing one song again and again. When I first heard U2's "When You Look at the World," I wept. For three years, I had not been able to hear it without crying. There was something in it of a love larger than I had, without sympathy, empathy, pity, and I could not imagine being able to know it. But now, this was changing, too.

When you look at the world
What is it that you see?
People find all kinds of things
That bring them to their knees...

...When there's all kinds of chaos
And everyone is walking lame
You don't even blink now do you
Don't even look away...

...I can't wait any longer
I can't wait til I'm stronger
I can't wait any longer
To see what you see
When you look at the world.

For years, I cried, wondering how someone could love freely enough to gaze steadily into the eyes of a broken human. Death, age, blood, disability, leprosy, maimed torn life that I could not fix, how could anyone not blink? What could it be to love like that?

It could be Tian Yo-Heaven Protect, Heaven Bless. Welcome home, little one. I love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Shane, Anna and Yo Yo, we love you!
Thanks for not listening to reason.
See you tomorrow!
Diane

Autumn Klare Wallace said...

How Awesome is the Lord? He is almight,all powerful and so good to us.

May you and Shane and Yo-yo be blessed always

-autumn klare