Wednesday, March 5, 2008

yo-yo-yo, Youyou


So we were wrong.

We thought our little guy's name easily pronounced. You-you. I told folks that it was as if he was named "you" two times, which was almost like being named U2, which surely was the seal of God upon this adoption. All in jest, of course. Okay, I really believed it. Not really. Maybe a little. No. (yes)

Phemie T., amazing friend and fabulous chef, told us that the character in Youyou's name should sound more like "Yo," as in Yo-Yo Ma. That in fact, if it was pronounced, "You," it would change the very meaning of the name. When I learned that our son would not need a pelvic osteotomy after all--those were harrowing days in November--I heard the name as, "Youyou."

So we've told everyone of our son Youyou, have made jokes about his name, even recorded our messages in our first words ever to him in the photo ball--all with the wrong pronunciation.

Our son is Youyou, pronounced "Yoyo."

Yo?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL - let's just call him Junior. I mean, if he's going to be living in the south...

Susania said...

I think that is the cutest picture of him you;ve posted so far... and I love that it's to be pronounced YoYo; would it be better if you started spelling it that way?

What an AWESOME name for an artiste! Punk OR classic.