Tuesday, March 4, 2008

the day my brain went blurry


Too early this morning, Shane was up and readying the camera. Yesterday's caller said that our Confirmation Letter would come via UPS today--between 8 am and 7:30 pm. Impressed with the pinpoint precision (not 8 pm, but 7:30 pm!), and suprised by the agency's casual attitude (the UPS man doesn't require a signature, so if you're not home, he'll leave your referral in the door), we opted to stay home and wait for our child to arrive. Some call this delivery "The Brown Stork." I find that phrase troubling, to say the least, but Shane delighted in texting, "The Brown Stork has Arrived" again and again. By the 22nd time, I'm sure he was just sending it to himself to read it.

So our guy came at 9 am, and out we ran, barefoot in the rain, with barking dog and camera in hand. Our UPS guy was caught off guard, oddly enough, by our reception of him. Perhaps terrified, but masking it well. He was probably 12 last week, but now he's old enough to drive, and we cheerfully told him he was bringing us our child in that envelope and could we take his photo, please. He was very obliging. We staged a tableau. Perhaps Youyou will not doubt its authenticity.

Tribute also arrived in the form of another email, this time from friend Rinda, who is in China and has taken a certain delight in reminding us that she has video of our little boy. She says we'll have our hands full.

When can my heart beat again? Will any day matter until I see him?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I gotta stop reading this at work...people are starting to wonder about the crying. It's happy crying - but I'm going to get pegged as the emotional one soon...

At the same time, I'm a little miffed I didn't get a "brown stork" text. I wouldn't have had any idea what ya'll were talking about but that is so besides the point :-)

So so so freaking happy for you guys!!

Susania said...

OMG, is that him with Tim?

Anonymous said...

It's true-that's him at the piano with Lao Tim.

The Vermillions said...

Sniff Sniff... we didn't get the brown stork text either. and my own brother didn't even tell me until after he told my children... Shane...does this make me an uncle?????!!!!