Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day (after)


So, by this time last year, I had my first Mother's Day-and so so many beautiful emails and prayers for a lovely one from friends!  That brings me to this-and I'm overdue, but I was without internet this weekend precisely because I was celebrating my (little) sister's first Mother's Day!

So, a belated Happy First Mother's Day to Andrea!  I imagined a lot of stuff when I was a kid (I hear that snicker), but I never seemed to imagine what it would be like for my sister and me to both be Moms!  And she is such a good Mommy-with a sweet sweet beauty of a blue-eyed girl. When I asked YoYo the other week if he'd like a little brother or sister (so maybe we're talking about another adoption-not that that's a surprise, right?), he said, "I have a sister."  I asked, "Who?" assuming he'd name Zhi Jing or another friend from BlueSky, or even one of his buddies' sisters.  He said, "Baby Reagan is my sister, silly Mama."  Oh yeah, pal, right where she's totally harmless-8 hours away!

And Happy Mother's Day to my favorite Moms-first to my Mom, whose mothering AND friendship I'm thankful for (and proud to lay claim to!), and to my Mother (in-law or outlaw?) Jane, Shane's Mom, who from the start loved me just as much and as closely as she does her two kiddos.  Who knew a Mother-in-law could do that?  

And to Shari, the coolest Mom, my sister (in-law/outlaw!), who is so so fun to hang out with and a trusted pray-er all in one gorgeous package.  I know she looks younger than I do, but yes, that high school girl is her daughter, thankyouverymuch.

And to Rinda Smith, Chelsea Gour, Phemie Tan, Lisa Florian, Katie Songer, Stephanie Garrett, Lisa Landers, Katy Parks, and Tricia Jones, I'm watching all y'all, and taking notes, because there's so very much to learn, and I know I'm surrounded by a cloud of witnesses-who better to learn from than women one admires!

And to Vickie Foltz, you amazing woman-this was the first Mother's Day since you left, and I'm learning that a Mother's teaching in the life of her children continues to unfold long after she leaves this earthly home.  Thank you dear friend for sharing your wisdom with so much vulnerability.  


2 comments:

Andrea said...

You are too sweet. Mother's Day was great. And so was shopping the day before..

Chelsea Gour said...

That was so sweet. I hope you had an exceptional Mother's Day, Anna! You are way more special than you will ever realize!