Wednesday, May 27, 2009

here fishy, fishy, fishy...



Memorial Day marked a year and a day since we landed in Nashville's BNA airport with our sweet prince.  I can't even remember what we did that first day back.  I think sleep was involved, but it seemed there was a stream of visitors and well-wishers, too.  Shane's folks were in town, and they stayed at a hotel to give our brand new family some space to recover--and then dropped in to make sure we were getting fed and rested.  Yeah, grandparents!

This year was different, though.  We dug worms out of the compost pile and headed off to the Jones' ranch for a fancy steaks-from-the-grill lunch and finished it off with an afternoon of fishing.  YoYo's first time fishing was GREAT!  He caught about 8 of the smallest bluegill we've ever seen, but he was so tickled and he loved handling the worms.  

He paused midway through the excursion to wax philosophical on us.  I had to cath him while his buddy Cole was present, and he asked, "Why do I have a stoma?"  Thinking on it now, I realize that was THE OhmygoshwhatamIgonnasaywhenheasksthat moment, but at the time we were just zipping right along, so I said, "That's what God helped the doctors give you-everybody has to potty, and there's lots of different ways to do it."  So he turns to Cole and says, "God made all things, Cole.  Did you know that?  I can teach you that."  Cole laughed and said, "Of course He did, silly poophead."  I alone was present to see the tale unfold--and it was funny.

As the shadows got longer and the prince tired, we piled into the car and drove away, our tiny fish happy and safe back in their home pond.  What a great day to spend with friends!  

Of course, the evening ended with us gingerly removing ticks as secretively as possible inside the ER of Vandy Children's Hospital while awaiting labs, but that's what keeps us humble 'round these parts.  Looking like Ma and Pa Kettle at the ER.

Of course tonight, my Dad called to ask YoYo about the fishing trip.  "Can you take me fishing, YoYo?" he asked after YoYo boasted loudly, "I caught EIGHT FISH, Papa!"  

YoYo replied somberly, "Well, I guess you'll have to take us--I'm not allowed to drive yet."

1 comment:

Gigi and Grandy in Katy said...

So precious. God will give you the right words at the right time. How perfect. Love and miss you. I'll post again sometime soon! You keep 'em coming!