Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Uncle Fun


In the spirit of catching up, I'll share a bit about the phenomenon called Uncle Craig.  

Uncle Craig is a giant who lives in Boston.  The combination of his 6'5" frame, the fact that he rides a chair through the sky to see us, and his striking resemblance to the Baptist Sunday School Board Jesus of VBS days gone by make him the stuff of obsession for small children.  I think I mentioned in an earlier post that he actually eats babies.  

When Uncle Craig came for a visit a couple of weeks ago, I wasn't sure how YoYo would handle him.  We ride this wacky pendulum these days, swinging from, "I hear a grownup, but I'm not sure I care," to, "No, I will NOT acknowledge that grownup."  Ok, so maybe it's not so much a pendulum.  But apparently Craig is magic.  Legend.  A few months back, Craig gave YoYo some antique Chinese coins for Lunar New Year.  I really can't explain what that meant to me.  This time, he played with that little boy for hours at a time, and it didn't matter how stinky YoYo was to him, he would cram his body into impossible spaces, watch the same Clifford episode 30 times, lose at every single game imaginable (including head-on truck crash livingroom rally), and keep YoYo AND PaPa AND Shilo the puppygirl ALL mesmerized.  If he ever ever moves back to Nashville, we will hold him hostage.

What's the photo?  Typical stuff for the visit.  Craig somehow folded himself inside a Little Tykes playhouse (4 feet x 4.5 feet x 4.5 feet) and then lured both YoYo and Shilo inside.  Not that there weren't already two dozen stuffed animals in there.  And a plastic chair.  They were in there for maybe a half hour-by choice, mind you.

Thanks Uncle Craig.  I can't wait til Easter comes, and we use the old-school PAAS egg-dyeing kit and fill YoYo's basket with Uncle Craig's bag of treats.  I hope YoYo always knows how cool you are and how much you love him.   

3 comments:

Chelsea Gour said...

What a GREAT uncle!! I want one! Where can I get one??

Erin said...

awwwww

Susania said...

now that's my idea of a story - funny and happy at the same time. Hell, I want an Uncle Craig!