Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day in the Life

Joy of joys, we are finished with the mega-antibiotic!

Today was a typical non-preschool day...
YoYo woke up around 10 am. I let him sleep in because this week Shane has been working on a set for the next high school play. He leaves every morning at 7 am, then returns around 10 pm. After a few days of that, YoYo begs to stay up long enough to see BaBa for a little bit before he goes to bed. Who am I to deny him that?!

I took care of my email before he woke up. Then we started our routine-fuss over breakfast, get dressed-he feeds our dog and folds napkins for meals. I do laundry and start cleaning house. I answer my voicemails (ok-3 of them before he starts clamoring for attention), help him with his projects (another installation, 30 min. of TV, some alphabet time), and then it's time for lunch. Ahhh, gyoza dumplings and noodle soup-a favorite!

After lunch we run to the grocery for a mid-week mini-list. When we return, it's time to read a book & take a nap. Mind you, I'm not detailing the cath times that have happened, the colostomy blowout and subsequent clothing wash, or the etsy & ebay items I listed this morning.

When he wakes up from naptime, it's just like any day-I'm mopping the floor while waiting for a guy to come pick up the 8 rolls of insulation I just sold on craigslist, and while Shane helps him load them into the truck, the nurse comes by to take our blood and urine samples for the life insurance folks. Of course we send her on her way afterwards with a box full of potted African violets, then it's time to go out for a belated birthday dinner, courtesy of Shane's parents (thanks, Jane!).

We're on the way to Chili's when we see a toddler and his mama by the road-their car broke down and she's held out for 2 hours for a ride because she doesn't think she can carry him AND her 3 bags of groceries 15 miles. No kidding. We shove them in the car & take them home, then it's back to Chili's for dinner. Oh wait-it's time for a cath again. Let's just use Chili's restroom this time. I hear a little girl say, "This bathroom's for little girls, not boys!" to her mama, and I realize I'm surprised that it's taken so long for that to happen. But then of course her mother replies, "Well, honey, HE still has to use diapers," and I think of all the things I don't want YoYo to hear me say to her. Ok, lady. Hope you savor that superiority.

After a lovely dinner, it's back home for birthday cake and an episode of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood as a family on the couch before we make our ways to bed. I read YoYo "The Little Engine that Could," and he points out that it's like the little boy we met earlier this evening. Ok, I'll buy that one.

1 comment:

Kimberlie said...

Wow! I was exhausted by the middle of your day. How do you do it? I am about to go take a 20 minute power nap and I accomplished a small fraction of what you do each day.

It's so good to get an update on your little emporer!

Oh, and my little empress got very emotional the other day and said she misses her friends. She said, "I miss the big boys, and Yo-Yo Mommy. I want to see them." The best I can do is pictures. :)

Hugs!