Monday, February 23, 2009

he feels "yucky"

Alas, we're in the throes of our first honest-to-goodness sickness. Two weeks ago, we walked into preschool to see a little girl look up from the craft table and say (snotto-voce), "I don't feel so good." Seconds later, as she curled in a rocking chair in the fetal position, YoYo proudly assumed her craft-table post to make his mommy the finest valentine in the land. All I could think was, "Here it comes."

Sure enough, within 24 hours, it came. For both of us. I felt B-L-A-H. Meanwhile, captain snotty-nose seemed none the worse for wear-no fever, just a cold, right? I waited a few days and gave him kiddy mucinex for a week. I WAS NOT going to overreact. I was NOT taking him to the Doc to hear, "Yeah, not much we can do. Make sure he drinks a lot."

Until last night. It's been two weeks. He was sounding better, and this morning at 5-God-is-not-even-awake-yet-a-blessed-m, he woke up coughing. And the cough had that really nasty sound only little kids can get. And he was soooooo hot. 102, in fact. We headed to the Doc as soon as his office opened. PS, I won the lottery-it was Doc's first day in a new office-let's not talk about the havoc at the front desk, or how much they wanted to kill me for asking them to "work us in."

He is so pitiful. His antibiotic dosage is so large, it alarmed the pharmacist, who double-checked with Doc before she'd even let us take it home. We had to beg/bribe/threaten him to drink anything, and he barely ate. He slept a lot. While the nurse oohed and ahhed over his good behavior after an hour's wait, I thought, "Yeah, he must feel BAD to be this compliant." When he turned down gyoza (dumplings) AND McDonald's for lunch, I considered taking him back and demanding he be admitted to the hospital.

Instead, while he sleeps, I will pay tribute to our incredible little man. With photos.


These are from an installation he did in the living room the other week. He asked for little paper, scrawled a design on each page, laid the pages out in a serpentine line, then added a car to each page. It was so methodical. I don't know if you can tell from the detail, but he placed each car in an alternate direction. It took time, and I watched the whole thing. Christian Boltanski, we are coming soon.

Shane's cousin Eli (our other "Baby Boy") has been back and forth to our house from Cincinnati several times in the last few months as he makes college plans and prepares to move down here. YoYo loves him. LOVES him. Which delights me-I don't know if you can see E's gauges, but when YoYo first met him, those ear-bobs were accompanied by a nose ring and two lip piercings, and a tattoo gallery. Was our little guy afraid? Nope. In fact, he was inspired...

...and decided he should take up nudie-bear bongo drumming. I don't think I can post that one...yet.

Feel better, Little Bear!

6 comments:

Baba C said...

He carried those little papers around in his little bus for two weeks before he decided exactly what to do with them. He is definitely his mother's child. I can't wait till we find little "roadkill" stuffed animals in his toy refrigerator. Then we will know that his training has become complete.
shane

Chelsea Gour said...

I am very confused/intrigued/horrified by Shane's comments!?! But, I wish our little man a quick recovery!! Love and prayers coming your way, YoYo! Get Well Soon!

Anonymous said...

I may or may not have collected the following birds from the roadside at different times and frozen them in bags to paint watercolors of later: turkey, owl, indigo bunting, and crow.

Audobon did it, too. He shot them, though-I just found them. That makes me a genius, right?

Right?

Anonymous said...

ok so im glad i kissed yo yo goodbye not once, but twice this weekend! and im not even going to mention the snot that got all over my pants...

prayers for the best, its busy (as usual) in architraz this week!!

and im so glad i got to see you all this weekend! batteries charged, ready for the next weeks. 7 down, 7 to go!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry the little bear is sick. I hope health is restored quickly so that more works of staggering artistic genius may be produced!

Erin said...

Of COURSE yo yo is already making installation work. Get that kid a slot at the Twist.

And after this near death experience, he'll definitely emerge to do his greatest piece, which will have to include lincoln logs used like never before, in intuitive and complicated orientations that speak to the order, or is it chaos? about the monotony and tension of being under something so common as a cold.

:) good mama.