Thursday, January 22, 2009

Re-take

Ok, so I just re-read my last post, and yikes! The lesson is never write an entry at 4 am when you can't sleep the morning of a friend's funeral.  Seriously, you can't account for your brain, so do laundry instead.

Lots of backstory, but I'll sum up.  To begin, kids in YoYo's preschool class take turns going to the restroom.  YoYo has begun asking if he can go, too.  Currently, I pick him up at the end of four hours (school goes for 5 hrs.) to get him home in time to cath.  His teachers remembered my mention of reconstructive surgery a while back and wondered if he's be able to join the potty rotation soon.  Nothing wrong with asking that.  Exstrophy is largely correctable for many children--YoYo's an exception at this point.  But it threw me for a loop, and this is where having YoYo in preschool is helpful, because I can work through these things a step at a time.

YoYo knows he's different, but until now, he's always been surrounded by kids with medical needs.  His curiosity about others is growing.  I love every little inch of this squirmy boy, but I wish there was an easier way for him.  

Then last weekend, a friend from our Sunday School class died suddenly and tragically.  He was so excited about us getting YoYo.  When our class descended on our house, he and our realtor installed the pocket door to our laundry room and went a little crazy with redos.  I was told later the only reason they didn't rip up and redo the entire laundry room floor was my freezer full of half a cow.  When neighborhood kids were desperately nosy about what was going on at our house, Mike B. made them a bicycle ramp of scrap plywood.  They'd completely trashed it within two weeks, and he just laughed with delight.  We drove to Memphis for his funeral yesterday.

So I was a little distracted when I last posted.

This weekend will mark YoYo's first Lunar New Year with us--we're hoping to squeeze in to the Greater Nashville Chinese Association New Year Festival.  It's the Year of the Ox, y'all!


This is from my sister's baby shower, but its pink and red, colors for happiness, felt Chinese New Year festive to me.  These hung from the ceiling til the party ended, and YoYo dragged them around and danced with them for half an hour while we cleaned up.  


 


2 comments:

Lou Beasley said...

Anna,
As usual, your post has left me in tears. I did not know Mike B. but your story about him is precious. Thank you for relating it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

That boy of yours is getting bigger and bigger and cuter and cuter and its a privilege to read the snippets.