Thursday, May 8, 2008

Transition

We got to the hotel today after a brief outing at a much smaller park than the original plan. Tears when everyone left the park but us, and then we traveled to the hotel with one nurse, one volunteer, and Lynn, our able and tireless guide. They gave us a fold-up umbrella stroller! Kathy M gave us a beautiful stroller, but we found after a few changes to luggage restrictions on inner-China flights that it might be a problem, so we left it home to avoid losing it entirely.

Our entourage made a pit stop for lunch before the hotel-and that little boy must have eaten his weight in noodles, watermelon, dragon fruit, sweet and sour pork, bean shoots, and cucumber. Wow! We settled in to our room nicely, and the care routine went well for the first time without training wheels.

Just so overwhelmed that I can't really journal yet. It seems presumptious to think that we can step in and make the claim of parenthood on this little boy when so so many have worked and given unfathomably to get him to this point. We are only two people, and small at that. But as Gunilla (the incredible nurse who helped teach us this week) reminded us today over coffee, we aren't given anything that will overtake us. There is just as large a family to which this prince comes as that he has left behind. And even then, the cord has not been severed between him and them; they are we.

Thanks to Rinda, Lisa, Phemie, Lori, and Bridgette for the toys--the MagnaDoodle and Eric Carle lacing cards are an absolute hit. David and Tricia, the little cow from Christmas is endlessly fascinating. What joy this boy takes in life. For me, so afraid for so long of eternity and its endlessness, he is freedom. He is our little prince.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'm behind the times, as usual. Didn't realize ya'll had left, though, come to think of it, I did notice you weren't in worship on Sunday. I am so excited for all of you and can't wait for you to be back home with YoYo. And welcome to parenthood - whether they grow in heart or underneath it, it's a little scary bringing a child home for the first time. I remember it vividly - VIVIDLY! Humility is a good thing - and if you don't have it going in (which you obviously do) it won't take time to find some. You are not alone. You DO have a big family at home waiting for you. Travelling mercies! May God bless.

With love,

David Fleet

Anonymous said...

ohhh myyy goodnesss!!!! mrs. caudill yall look beautiful together!!! i check your blog site probably around fifteen times a day and i love the pictures (they have taken over my wall right by my bed!) i get more excited every day for yall to come home so i can finally have my boy to play with!! i love you so much!!!

Anonymous said...

Anna,
This is Katie Songer, John and Diane Barlow's daughter. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your adoption story and to ask you to count us among the people who are praying for you and your sweet boy. My two year old son has been looking at the pictures on the blog with me and he would love to meet YoYo in person once you guys get settled in! As I read your post just now I was holding my younger son who is just over two weeks old. When I got to the line, "we are only two people and small at that," I burst into tears. That is the heart of a mother if I have ever heard it. I am overwhelmed by my own smallness when I look at the treasures that I have been charged with, and the only thing that enables me to rest is the promise that raising a child, like anything else that I do in life is not about what I bring to the table but what He has promised to do in, through and sometimes even in spite of me. I am thrilled for you guys and will continue to pray for your sweet family!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys!! He is gorgeous!! We are just thrill for you!! I can't wait to get my hands on him!!

We've been trying to keep up thru Mary and she just told me about the blogspot. I was up late last night catching up. I couldn't help but cry (in joy) for all 3 of you. YoYo is in for a beautiful, crazy~fun life filled with love and laughter. I know I'd move in with you guys in a minute!! Never boring!!

Georgia is excited and alittle confused. You see, our friends Anna Marie and Todd left last Wednesday to get their daughter Samantha in China. Georgia and I have talked alot about Sam and have been chatting with them thru their trip(their blogspot is peacockscanfly.blogspot.com if you want to look) ~ mainly to help Georgia understand that she has a new friend coming. Then we found out about YoYo and I let her look thru your blog. She thinks he is Sam and I'm sure she thinks I'm just "messing" with her. Poor thing!! Soooo, we definitely have to come up for a visit once you 3 get settled in. Georgia and YoYo are just about the same age. How fun will that be!!

We love you all and want to see more pictures ( I'm sure you've just got all the time in the world right now to download pictures~ yeah right)! We'll just keep checking the blog and waiting for the day we can meet YoYo!

Love and kisses and God's blessings,
Kim,Timothy, Grant and Georgia

Anonymous said...

Hi- We're so excited for you guys and so glad we discovered your blog!! We can't wait to meet Yo-Yo. He is amazingly cute! Shane, thanks so much for visiting Hayley in the hospital....it really meant alot to us that you took the time to stop by.

We look forward to reading more posts and will keep you in our prayers.

Love from the Flemings (David, MB & Hayley)